Thursday, May 22, 2008

The North Country not-so-Fair






We are back in winter. At least a typical Arkansas winter. We are up on the u.p. of Michigan and it is nasty and cold, about 42 degrees for a high and overcast with occasional rain and lots of wind. I made the decision to wind our way back home via the northern Great Lakes route and now I am wishing we were just back in humid 85 degree Arkansas. This weather would be great if we had already endured a long, hot summer, but right now it is a tad depressing. The trees up here are just starting to bud out and as you can see in the photo we even found a little snow on the shore of Lake Superior by Painted Rocks National Lakeshore. We are now camping in the parking lot of the Wal-Mart in Marquette, Michigan. We are going to get up early and haul butt to the Apostle Islands and spend the day in that area of Lake Superior.


We waited in line at the gas station this morning to get some cheap $3.99 gas as it was $4.29 just down the road in b.f. u.p. Michigan. Far enough north that they gig you for gas. We cruised across the Peninsula and kept seeing signs for Pasties, so my gastronomic curiosity got the best of me and I had to stop at the "oldest" and "best" pastie stand. I got two ready to eat and two frozen what I called "pay-stees". "O.K. den, that will bee four pass-tees altogether." They pronounce things funny up here. Mackinac is Mackinaw. I already am thinking these guys are crazy for enduring the winter that doesn't end until June, so the funky pronounciations are just icing. There is apparently a lot of fishing and camping and other outdoor activities up here due to the huge amount of water, but I think I would wait until July or August for my next visit.




We are about done with this year long journey, just one more week. I am going to miss this r.v. and being able to wake up whenever and travel wherever and stay however long. At times I feel excited about getting back to work and sometimes I feel like I am headed to the electric chair. The time sure has flown by, but when I reflect on all that we have done it seems like it should have taken years to accomplish. There is so much to see and do in the U.S. of A. You could spend a year in every state. I have no regrets. I feel very fortunate to have been in a trade and economy that afforded us this trip and twice as fortunate to have a wife that I wanted to spend this much time with and who would tolerate me as Kim does. If fate takes away all my assets (what are left) and leaves me with just Kim I know that all will still be fine.

Talk to you soon


James

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, James, sounds more like you are winding up than winding down. It will be so good to see you both in just a couple days now, assuming that all the tornadoes up that way are done and gone. It sounds like your next adventure should be to run for office.

So, we will soon welcome you home with fat fresh strawberries and crisp spinach from the garden, and, of course, goat cheese....BTW, if you recall your days living in England, you might remember that pasties, e.g. Cornish pasties-- was pronounced the same way (I thought it weird at the time, too.) We are all enjoying our Memorial Day Weekend Rain --- and the green is so intense here that it hurts your eyes...the honeysuckle has made up for missing last year, and I have some white iris blooming that haven't bloomed for 10 years. The peaches and apples are bending with fruit, and we have blueberries for the first time. Other people, too, have said the same about the quality and quantity of fruit and flowers this year after the hard freeze destroyed everything last year. There must be a lesson in that, eh??

MM

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, I'm sure getting back into the grind is going to be hard for you - I know it wold be for me, that's for sure. But at least you've got a whole bunch of people here who just can't wait to have you back again, and not just to put you to work!! Of course, the pool of grease next to all the gauges is probably ready for you to be back to work!! That was too funny!
So, are you working for two years and then taking off again??!

And wow James, what a wonderfully nice thing to say about Kim and the relationship you guys have. A few words that say everything - pretty damn good there. Or were you suggesting you would be able to sell her?? Hmmn - hadn't thought of that take on it!!

Well, I guess we will see you two in just a few days. That will be great!!

Bebe

Anonymous said...

My father is from a teeny tiny town in Michigan called Hastings. It had about 500 people back then; it has about 501 people now. My grandmother still lives there and constantly talks about how cold it is. My father swam in those Great Lakes and froze his arse off. It's pretty telling that as soon as he could he went to school at the University of Southern California on a Navy scholarship. He LOATHES boats, but that was the only way he could get to sunny weather.

May you rediscover spring as you travel back to AR. And congratulations on the close of your most excellent adventure (puts Bill and Ted to shame, really).

Lisa (Medders; I have no idea why my username was listed as "hooman" on my previous comment. It's a mystery!)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh yes, the final count down..ta da daaa daaa da da da da daaaa its the final count down (worst 80"s song ever) Just think Jim, now you can catch some fish.
(they are aquatic creatures with fins and gills) Sorry one last jab.
I know it has to be sad for you guys, such an awesome life experience coming to an end. But as stated by the muries South, Its gonna be soooo good to have you guys back, I have missed you terribly, I for one cant wait.
Love Tuna..( what a annoyingly long "word verification"...gnnjiwmu) so I must honor it (rubs his hands cracks his knuckles) growth never neglects journeys in which muries unite. Now either that is totally awesome, or just a bunch of total nonsense