Monday, May 5, 2008






Are you getting tired of reading this boring blog? There seems to be more entertainment being had by comparing verification words than by my brilliant writing. It isn't easy having the discipline to sit down and update this thing after a long day of screwin' off. I only have about three and a half weeks left of this sojourn, so you will be spelled soon.


We are so overwhelmed with history right now that my brain is about to explode. I can't absorb or recall much anymore, so this is frustration. We are in a KOA right next to Harper's Ferry, WV. If you are like I was before this visit you know the name, but not the significance. It was and is a cute little town on the confluence of the Potomac and the Shenandoah Rivers where rifles were made for the government pre-Civil War. John Brown got the idea that he could raid the town, steal the armaments and give them to the slaves with which to start a revolt. He had already purchased hundreds of pikes with Philanthropic monies from the North, but decided that rifles were needed as well. He invited the famous freed slave Frederick Douglass along for the fun, but Douglass said "No Thanks!" The attempt failed and John Brown was hanged in December of 1859, 18 months later the Civil War started. Most agree that this action by Brown was a catalyst. There is the history lesson about Harpers Ferry in a nut shell.

We had a "nice" time in the Shenandoah park. We have been to just about half of the National Parks in the U.S. now, so we are critics. Shenandoah is packed full of turnouts with nice views of the valleys which I am sure are breathtaking in the Fall. The hikes we went on had some relatively nice water features, but a lot of felled timber and clutter. Recent storms of ice and hurricane winds have tipped many trees and the summer green hadn't come in yet to disguise any of it. I can only imagine how busy this park is in the summers as this weekend saw 90% occupancy already. The main campground was big, clean, and well organized. We got the best spot in the whole place with a commanding view of the valley. I just wanted to say "commanding view", but the sight was really the best.

My little "Schmee" as I have been calling her is sick in the back of the R.V. right now. We had the most beautiful spring weather the last two days, but I am afraid that the pollen is flying and Kim has allergies bad, so she is feeling miserable while this weather is so nice. She is convinced that she is going to be all better by morning, but I'm afraid misses glass-is-half-full is going to be disappointed.

It feels like we are headed to the home station of Fayetteville at warp speed. We have got used to seeing so many things and doing it at our leisure, I could do it for another two years, but the funds have run out, so it's back to work. I will let the sniffly girl blog about D.C. I am getting a headache just thinking about the Smithsonian museums and all we packed in.

Hey, what do you know. My word verification is TAJNTGAL. Tagent gal or Tuna and Julie Need To Get A Life. Just kidding, I know at this point if it weren't for the ACRONYMS you probably wouldn't even log on to this boring @#$!.

Love you-ins all.

James

Jees, I had 8 misspelled words with spellcheck. It would be nice if this had grammar check to save me too.
1. Kim on Rose River log crossing 2. Dark Hollow Falls - Shenandoah 3. Lewis Falls - Shenandoah 4. In light of Kim's prior driving record I was eager to buy this shirt for her, but she said she wouldn't wear it, so I had her model it instead. 5. Catholic church on the hill in Harpers Ferry, WV

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just letting you know that I am a faithful reader with absolutely no interest in “word verification”. Always interested in what you crazy kids are up to, and I laugh out loud often! Your blog is also a nice thing for the two of you to have…a journal of your journey. Hope you’re feeling better Kim!

Unknown said...

me too - I love to read the blog. I haven't been as great lately about posting comments, but I do read it faithfully. You are a link on my toolbar, so just a quick click and there you are! I will miss the installments once you are back home. I feel like I've gotten to know you both a bit better (especially james) through this vicarious tag-along. forrest and I fantasize about doing what you are doing. We talk about getting an RV all the time. sadly not in the budget, not until the day that I get my butt back to work in a paying J-O-B. keep the dream alive!!! And I really hope you hold onto the RV and use it over the years.

much love to you both,
Tracy

and I do like the word verification game, but I always get x. xwsrravq today to be precise. let's try....

xenu was starved, really ravished; attacked, vanquishing quinoa

Anonymous said...

You have really been on a roll lately for sure. I am so glad you have had this opportunity to do all you have done and to experience so much history. Hmmm...I can't imagine why wouldn't Kim want to proudly sport that T-shirt. (Kim, just be glad that Bill and I didn't come across it first...we would have bought it in a heartbeat for you, and then you might have felt obligated to wear it so as to not seem ungrateful.)

Seriously though, you two, I know there are lots of lurkers as well as your regular commenting readers who will greatly miss reading your deftly and humorously related adventure tales as much as you will miss the freedom of being on the road and discovering something new and wonderful or not so wonderful every day to write about. Guess what! It is raining again. James, you know as soon as you get back the rains and all chances of kayaking will cease. Kim, you are not alone with the allergy woes. Emmy is sniffing on the couch as I type, and my car is shedding yellow rivulets --- oak pollen is rife.

How many years do you think it would take to cover the entire Smithsonian?

MM

Anonymous said...

AHH YES, the t-shirt of a life time. And taking mom's que I am going to order it on line, gift wrap it, and present it with love so the "schmee" must adorn it!! I think we all know what i am going to miss the most about the Blog. I will no longer get to razz James about the lack of fish pictures. Good use of the X letter Tracy, I always give up on the x.
see you guys soon love Tuna

Anonymous said...

Well that's what I get for not checking the blog regularly - insulted and didn't even know it! I have been too busy lately trying to get a life!! Of course, the letters I get this time for my come back are ivlyyium - hmm. I vill live yet you inconveniently unreachable monkey!

Bebe