Thursday, May 1, 2008

Jefferson and Monroe were Slackers







We spent the day yesterday touring Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's Home) and Ashlawn-Hyland (James Monroe's Home). I had to ask during each of the tours "how much of this stuff is actually Jefferson's stuff or Monroe's stuff?" "Most of it." was the reply. It was amazing that through all of these generations that their homes and their stuff has survived to be viewed by all of the modern generations. Unfortunately we have been mingling with all too much of the modern generation. The last few attractions we have been to seem to be popular destinations for school field trips and I haven't seen a future Thomas Jefferson in the lot. Absorbing all that Thomas Jefferson accomplished is a daunting task. Writing the Declaration of Independence, ambassador to France, President for two terms, Virginia Congressman, inheriting his father's plantation at age 21 and running it, keeping detailed journals of everything he did, political writings, writing upwards of 19,000 letters, he kept a 6,700 volume library, reading in seven languages, being an authority on gardening and crop rotation, art, science, mechanical engineering, law, architecture, building Monticello, starting the University of Virginia in his retirement and yet he still died way in debt, what a slacker. Jefferson said "I can't live without books." I am standing there reading that quote and thinking "I have survived quite well without books, Tom." The male ego in me makes me argue that I could be in the other guys shoes if I wanted, but I just don't want to cause I am happy being me. I can't even begin to set up an argument that I could be like Thomas Jefferson and that pisses me off and makes me feel worthless. Then we go to James Monroe's house. Virginia Congressman, U.S. Congressman, ambassador to France twice, Secretary of State and Secretary of War at the same time, U.S. President, and so on. O.K. there are two guys that I can never aspire to being like and they are practically neighbors. Did our young country afford these guys opportunities at greatness or were they just born into wealth and inherited the opportunities. Have we discovered so much that we no longer need the DaVincis, Einsteins, Gallileos, Jeffersons, Edisons, Franklins and so on or have we just dumbed down and become so comfortable that we don't provide fertile ground for these minds?


Traveling for the last year has made me realize that I am not bound for greatness or riches. I don't have the drive that it takes or the intellect. I get depressed about the condition of our country and then I review history in a place like Monticello and realize that our outlook has always been bleak. We have always been on the brink of ruin as a country, a race or a planet. I am damn lucky to be driving around in an R.V. looking at all of this amazing scenery and history. I have grown up in a time where disease wasn't always at our doorstep and wars weren't fought on our soil. I could be running from a t-rex or a sabre tooth tiger, taking a lead ball to the chest, laying on me death bed with the plague or salmonella due to lack of refrigeration. Hey wait a minute! That is my calling, I keep stuff refrigerated so people don't die! I am the world's salvation and I didn't even know it. I have decided that I am perfectly happy fixing machinery. I need that immediate satisfaction of knowing that I fixed it, it is working now, and the people are happy and they will pay me now! Machinery is either not working right or it is working right, the machines don't have personalities to tiptoe around and they don't lie. I like the problem solving and working outside, so I like my trade. I just hate PEOPLE! I really hate the little brats at these cool historic places. They run in to you, they yell, they don't pay attention to the really pertinent information. I realize that it is the parents and the teachers who allow this behaviour. That is where Kim comes in. It is her job to change the direction of as many of these little shits as she can, she is the teacher. When I look at machinery sitting alongside a building I get a little nostalgic. When a horde of little punks comes roaring down a stairwell towards us I see Kim convulse and little red bumps raise up on her skin. I will be fine, but I don't know about the longevity of my wife. I sure hope she can get back in the groove and help make a difference with our next working generation. Bottom line..."the old lady needs to make some money!" Speaking of the old lady I am going to get some super glue and glue the cell phone to her ear to free up her left hand so's she can do some more house cleaning 'round here. Her sisters tag team the cell phone, right now it's Janet's turn. Good god almighty! Gossip Central around here.


Virginia is beautiful, spring is in full glory here. A thick blanket of small, light green leaves on the trees, dogwoods and azaleas in bloom.
1. Scene of Virginia valley and hills from the Blue Ridge Parkway
2. Mabry's Mill - Blue Ridge
3. Jefferson's bedroom and study ( I wasn't supposed to take pictures)
4. Monroe's house
5. Monticello

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Quite the spout of deep thoughts Jim.I agree Thomas J was one of our national treasures, an amazing guy.Maybe this trip has put some season salt on on you guys.Of course you could gain comfort from knowing you come from quite an amazing set O' grandparents too.
In all seriosness it warms me to see my bro getting philisophical.Kinda rare. But your not giving yourself enough credit. You are an amazing dude, your strength, will power and generousity has enriched us all JIm. Now get back here so I can teach you how to fish' LOts of love TUNA

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah one more thing. Ever hear a seven year old girl snore? It sounds kinda like an Anteater sniffing an ant nest. My word verification is too irresistable (or however you spell that} it is HMLMP hasty mammoths love mango pulp ( i know, but Im tired}
Tuna

Jeff said...

I agree. Those were some deep thoughts, Jack Handey.

MS Walk is over. It was cold. Not last year's garage sale cold, but cold still. Low turnout but we still raised $45,000.

So, go hit the roller coasters and then COME HOME!

Love, Jeff