Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Exclusively for Tuna






As we headed north to Niagara Falls Kim had planned for us to stop at Buckaloons campground in the Allegheny National Forest in the northern part of Pennsylvania. Yesterday I had purchased a fishing license online from the state of Pennsylvania so that I could fish in Keystone Lake at our campground. I didn't catch shaka and was turned off to fishing as I havn't had real good luck in a while. Kim thought that we should camp here at "Buckaloons" before we got into New York so that I could have another chance to use my $35 three day license.

We toured the campground upon arrival and the dark, primitive campgrounds combined with the huge speed bumps every 50 feet had me very disenchanted. I had decided to cruise north and forget the fishing when the campground host flagged us down while we were passing. "Can I help you folks, you look lost?" I felt like saying "No, your huge speed bumps suck and we are bolting!", but instead I said "Just looking at the camp sites. How's the fishing?" He was very nice and imformed me that there was a creek behind the campsite that we were thinking about occupying. I felt the Murie guilt, and decided to stay just because the host was nice and he might think I was ungracious if we left.

I took a look a the creek and decided it might be worth a try. I grabbed my pole and a small tackle box that contained some trout lures and headed up the creek. I tried several small holes and not a bite. Between the rainy weather and the lack of good fishing I was getting bummed. I saw some fins come out of the water in this large hole up river. Carp? Gamefish? Hmmmm? I took a couple of casts and nothing, so I decided to change lures. Wham! A very plum smallmouth bass, as big as any I have caught in Arkansas! Yee haw. I took dozens more casts, change lures many times and nothing, so I was about to call it good. I found a funky jig that I had bought ten of in Minnesota and thought "This one ought to scare them away or really piss them off." First cast I hooked a fish bigger than I have had on in many years and of course it popped the hook. I could have cried. Then I cast out again and hooked the same fish or it's equal and landed it. It must have been a four pounder. It was a big female that appeared to be full of eggs, so I had to let it go with no picture for evidence. I was bummed, but I wasn't going to slay this big, beautiful fish just for bragging rights. I caught five more fish that were all as big if not bigger than any I have caught in Arkansas, so I decided it would be worth going back to get the camera in case this was going to keep up. Luckily it kept up and I caught ten more fish. I caught a couple that I am pretty sure were 3 lbs, but could not get another monster. Don't worry, I am going to try again in the morning. A total of 16 fish and none of them smaller than 15", the biggest was probably 20" and fat as a football. I didn't have my professional photographer with, so these I took of myself. Smallest to biggest. I don't need to hit the crack pipe this evening, I am high on fishing right now. My wife is awesome for picking Buckaloons Campground.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Despite the fact that this is entry was Exclusive for Tuna, my rebellious side had to read it anyway. Congratulations James, your trip would not have been complete without at least one good fish story. I love the last two pictures; you look like a kid on Christmas morning! I had to laugh though because your self took pictures look like half of those poor slobs on dating sites. Arm held out, smiling close up in the camera, in hopes of finding “the one”. I also liked the last sentence when you gave Kim some credit for your fishing success. That should help keep your arm held out; close up off the dating sites. I’m looking forward to your Niagara Falls pictures…any plans for a barrel ride down?

Anonymous said...

Well well, I thought about not gracing you with honers Jim, but I guess I have too, congrats on the nice brownies, and I am so relieved that you could come across even in this late hour.
Tuna.

Anonymous said...

You just now figured out your wife is awesome??? Some of us intuited that long before she discovered that primo fishing spot. Anyway, Kim, congratulations on the job offer. How nice not to have the anxiety of job hunting and waiting for that phone call, but nobody is much surprised that your teaching credentials have made you the catch-of-the-day for the school system. Looking forward to seeing you soon. You may have to keep up this blog once you get back so as not to disappoint your fans, who will sorely miss your entertaining point and counterpoint.

MM

Anonymous said...

Cool fish pictures. Too bad your wife didn't share in your enthusiasm. I guess I'm the only Jones girl whoever cared about that part of nature. Have fun at Niagra Falls. I'll let you know if Javalina makes an appearance. She has been causing me some pain today.
Janet