Sunday, April 27, 2008

Merlefest Mania






Well we all survived Merlefest and had a great time. My parents drove out from Arkansas to join us for a weekend full of Bluegrass. They have been very gracious to take care of our dog, rent collecting and vehicle storage while we have been gone so James decided to give the old people a thrill and introduce them to their first music festival. My dad loves bluegrass and my mom likes anything you can dance to (I guess that's where I get it from) so Merlefest was a perfect fit. They even got here a day early so James & my dad were able to fish the pond at our campground. Luckily we had steaks in the fridge so we didn't have to depend on them or else we would have gone hungry. Sorry Tuna, once again no fish pictures.



We had 2 days of really nice weather and then yesterday it started off nice and then poured down rain. In less than 10 minutes I went from reapplying sun screen to grabbing my rain coat. After a 30 minute 'frog choker' as any good bluegrass fan would say, the sun came out and teased us for an hour and then it started raining again. Her frustration at the weather caused my mom to let out her strongest string of expletives.. 'well shoot a monkey'. No wonder I don't cuss, I never knew how.



The festival was extremely well run and everyone was so nice, good ol' southern hospitality I suppose. They had free parking with shuttles driven by the boy scouts, well their leaders not the actual scouts. There was also a church group set up across from the shuttle stop handing out free donuts, ice water, and hot dogs. The stages were all run very well and kept on time. They even had a tent just devoted to dance, you could learn how to clog or square dance or watch other people who actually knew what they were doing. The food was even reasonably priced. But the best thing of all was they had these portable trailer bathrooms with real stalls and sinks! Yes, it was a good festival. I do have to say it is a little intense to listen to over 30 hours of any kind of music in 3 days, so safe to say if I don't hear another banjo for a year I will not be sad.


James was so sweet to my parents, making us breakfast and a fire every morning and splurging for the reserved seats so we didn't have to lug chairs or sit on the ground at the main stage, yes he is good to his in-laws.


My parents left today to go see my sister Juli & her family in Savannah. Janet is trying to go into premature labor (she is not due until June 8th) hopefully she can hold off at least until they get home next week. Keep Janet in your thoughts and prayers, even baby nurses get nervous when they have to go to the hospital.


James and I are off tomorrow morning for Virginia. The clock is ticking so the next month is going to be action packed.


We hope all is well with everyone and we will see some of you soon!


Love, Kim
Pictures: Very cool inverted rainbow that came out after someone sang 'I'll fly away' as a tribute to Merle watson (coincidence?), my mom & dad between bands, my mom & I soaking up the sun, Doc Watson bluegrass legend, James banging his knee while trying to take a picture, I just wanted you to see the sacrifices he goes through :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture of that funky rainbow. It sounds like you had a good time with mom and dad. Now dad has bragging rights with his brother for awhile. I'm staying calm trying to keep this bambino in a bit longer. Be safe and I'll talk to you soon. Thanks for your prayers!
Janet

Anonymous said...

Well,no fish pictures, no surprise. But thats ok. I dont expect them while your blue-grassen and enjoying Your parents company. It would have been precious if Bob caught a big one and that was the fish pic o the trip THough. Enjoy the rest of your dwindling Vacation Jim. It is VERY busy already, stepping it up to ten hour days soon twelve no doubt. Remember those "good ol days"?
Love Tuna