Thursday, April 24, 2008

Chimbley Rock






After a day of trying to conjure up who the mysterious commenter T.W. was on our blog with their recommendation of Castle Rock, Kim and I figured out it must have been Tony Wing a.k.a. Santa Claus or the local expert on everything good 'ol boy. First of all, Tony, let me tell you that it isn't Castle Rock it is Chimney Rock or might we say Chimbley Rock since we are from Arkansas. Second of all, let it be known that when you suggest something to Kim she then fixates on it, researches it and if she likes the brochure enough it becomes a must visit. This is all fine and good Tony, but you must also remember that I am the one that is your friend and you shouldn't suggest places with 986 stairs going UP! Yes, there is an elevator, but Kim does not take elevators if there are stairs. I have to ask, Tony, did you take the stairs or the elevator hmmm?
It was a very cool place and definitely worth the $14 entry fee and the 986 stairs. My buttocks just recovered. I have to come clean and say that it was a good recommendation, so thanks Tony! And yes, the Last of the Mohicans was partially filmed there and no Julie there weren't any visions of Daniel Day Lewis with his shirt off.

We cruised up the Blue Ridge Parkway to our campsite at Raccoon Holler near Wilkesboro, North Carolina to get ready to see the music festival. Kim's parents, Bob and Karen a.k.a. the IN LAWS, arrived yesterday afternoon and we are all fixin' to head down to check out the pickin' and a grinnin'. B3moosed hasn't commented in a while so I don't know if he is still reading this blog, but I have to thank my father for introducing me to Doc Watson many years ago. I remember stealing the tape and bringing it to Arkansas and then Bill's friend Steve McIntosh stole it from me. Doc is 85 now Dad and still getting with it. I will see if I can find that c.d. and a t-shirt for you to make up for the thievery of 27 years ago. Doc's son Merle died many years ago in a tractor accident and they have this festival in his memory, this is the 20th anniversary of Merlefest. The absolute best in this genre of music show up for this event, so it ourt to be good. If any of you-ins have a problem with my poor grammar and vocabulary you can kiss my ass! I think ass is the strongest word I am allowed to use with out censorship by the Baptist wife.

If you are very lucky, I might include some snippits and pictures from Merlefest in the next blog.
I will let Kim comment on the festival, she will have had her fill of bluegrass and newgrass within the first 2 hours and I am sure she will be ready to vent.
Talk to you soon.
James
photos
1. Halfway up Chimney Rock
2. At the top of the falls
3. Stairs, lots and lots of stairs
4. Linville Falls
5. Tom Dula Hill on Blue Ridge Parkway

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like your getting trimmer JIm. No worries about the Mike competition, although he did start taking long walks O" the evening.
Looks like you got a head start.
Love Tuna

Anonymous said...

Bummer, no Daniel Day Lewis, huh? Okay though, James, it was Eric Schweig that really did it for me though! Get it right dude!!

Looks like you guys are having a lot of fun - but you know, it is May 1 today. The countdown begins!!

Mwaaahaahaa!

Oh Tuna, my word here is ynqandwb - ink and daub! Just thought you'd want to know!

Bebe

Anonymous said...

What an awesome word verification Bebe,I think its Comanche for "Thats my cookie"