Saturday, April 19, 2008

Still in the Smokies






Well we are still hanging out in the Smokies and still having a great time! We have had a very full week from hiking in the snow to floating down the river. You would have to stay here several years I think before you could even begin to conquer all the outdoor activities. We have covered a whopping 30 of the 600 hiking miles and that is just in the park alone!
We stayed at a campground earlier in the week with a trout stream running through it. We were actually on the Cherokee Indian reservation and they stock the lake with a bunch of fish. They even tossed in a bunch right behind our campsite. It was a little sad to see the fish flying through the air only to land in the middle of a rapid, but of course James was excited to see that many new adversaries being added to the mix. James restrained himself and even though the limit was 10 he only caught what we needed for dinner. It was delicious!
Wednesday we headed back to the Tsali campground to enjoy some more biking and kayaking. Last week when we were here we almost had it all to ourselves and this weekend it is packed, what are all these people thinking? Don't they have jobs?
We rented a two person ducky (sort-of like an inflatable kayak) on Thursday and floated the Nantahla. It was a bright sunny day but the water was cold! James did an awesome job of navigating us so we hit every rapid with maximum spray. We did make it successfully over the falls so I was able to keep up good spirits. The camera man was asleep at the switch so I can't prove to anyone I did it, you will just have to trust me.
Today is another nice day so we will probably go for a bike ride or watch the carnage on a class V river that they are releasing. James knows I couldn't drive the RV back to Arkansas by myself so he is restraining from any life threathening situations. We went for a long hike yesterday so we feel a weird since of entitlement to be bums today. Weird how that works. It is gorgeous here, the trees have finally started to bloom out and it is really pretty. Sort-of like the Ozarks only higher.
I hope that Jeff & Meme made big bucks at the MS garage sale and that the weather was nice for all those who walked in the race for the cure.

Love, Kim

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty country there guys. James didnt go snow boarding?? The missed opertunity for risk and adrenaline? I am sure you could drive the rv to Arkansas, home where all your family misses and loves you. Just stay away from the bank drive throughs. O my, did I really just say that"?
My word today is ibopelgk Which I am certain is a russian vegetable.
Love Tuna

Jeff said...

Very beautiful pictures as usual.

The MS Walk garage sale just was not the same without you, Kim. As usual our 8 a.m. sale started about 6:30. I just decided if you can't beat them, join them. I had sold $100 worth by 8. What are you going to do?

The take was lower but I didn't have my spitfire partner to rally people into giving us any big stuff. And the one or two offers that I did have just weren't enough to justify putting the 22 digit code into the storage unit to borrow your trailer.

Your mom filled in admirably for you, Kim. She kept us motivated until 10 p.m. the night before.

The Walk is May 3rd. I'm excited as usual but this will be my swan song on the committee. No more. That extra little person in the house is where my extra time goes now.

Speaking of the little dude. He's sitting up on his own now. We had to lower his crib bed. Still pretty cute. Little booger.

Come home.

Now.

Love, Jeff

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim and James. I had to laugh at the picture of Tuna's house because it really does look like his. I really look forward to seeing you when you return, and want you to visit us at our house. Come on, we've lived here 2 and 1/2 years now. When do you guys plan on returning to your exciting lives here? You know, I don't know what you are going to do when you get back to keep the adrenlin going. I can't see topping this trip!!! Loved the pictures.

Cathy