Monday, April 14, 2008

Asheville






We are sitting in a coffee shop in Asheville, N.C. Kim is drinking her hot cocoa and doing a sudoku. I don't get it. If you have finished a suduko you are done with that chapter in your life and it is time to move on. Crosswords have lots of character and themes and sudokus are just numbers folks! This is the same girl that can sit and play solitaire on the computer for hours on end. I get bored, I must have change of scenery or challenge.
We are enduring this rebirth of winter here. There was actually snow falling this morning with temps right at freezing. It's April for cry eye. Cry eye, pete's sake, my lands, dear me, for the love of pete, oh me, sake's alive and all of those old folks sayings that I learned from my Grandma Mardy and have no idea how they originate. Anyway. I drove around the R.V. campground we are staying at with this old fart that runs the place and he had quite a few sayings too, I just couldn't understand most of what he was saying. I thought arkie accents were thick. "You-ins whant a slip next to the crik ere or you best not be cidin' for the wife lest she whoops your ass. These ere done got sewers, but whatch out cuz the tea kettle's 'bout full and she might cum boundin' up through the pipe on ye!" We got a beautiful spot right next to a set of rapids, so the old fart did me right and Kim figured I had 'cided on a right good spot.
I caught a few trout right out the back door as it were. We are going to feel awfully guilty about playing Nintendo with that crik flowing right behind us. We plan to do a little hiking in the Smoky's tomorrow. I can't believe that I am 42 and just now realized that it is Smoky Mountains and not Smokey. Damn illiterates. I had to spell check illiterate, that's funny.

Photos
1. Dick's Creek Ledge on Chattooga
2. Narrows - Chattooga River
3. Painted Rock Rapid
4. Bull Sluice
5. Me running Nantahala Falls

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

james while at ashville try going to castle rock very nice tw

Anonymous said...

I am so relieved to know that was not James as that speck in the midst of all of that white water! That did not look like fun! The rafting, however, made me want to get in that boat, too. Brings back memories of when I was young and adventurous for one summer of my life. Now I am just big and pregnant and it is an adventure getting out of bed at times. Zachary wants to know what kind of snake that was. He keeps saying it is a rattle snake but I assured him that Uncle James would not do that to Aunt Kimby. Glad you are having a good time. I definitely think you should do the Niagra Falls thing. I am also jealous of the roller coaster stop to come. Have fun with mom and dad. Love and miss you!
Janet
P.S. Max wants to know if you have seen any dinosaur fossils yet.

Anonymous said...

Really beautiful pictures, never thought the east could look so good, maybe I will have to revise the "not interested in the east" travel plans.
Miss you guys Tuna