Sunday, January 6, 2008

Home for the Holidays





Well it has been a very long time since our last post and we have no excuse except that we haven't really been doing anything exciting enough to write about. I don't mean that it hasn't been great being home and seeing everyone but parking in my parents driveway is not quite the same as being in Yosemite or on the Oregon coast.


We left the Texas gulf the first week of December to spend a few days in Dallas with our friends Beth & Lee. We were a little delayed because the car had a flat tire. We aren't really sure how long we had a flat tire because we discovered that a car in tow doesn't really feel all that different with or without all wheels inflated. James was awesome and got it fixed in no time, the only lasting damage was the 20 fire ant bites I got from standing on the side of the road admiring his work. We made it to Dallas safely after stopping to get a new tire for the car in San Marcos which also happens to have a giant outlet mall, see every cloud has a silver lining.

We finally got to meet Barrett, Beth & Lee's adorable little boy who was born 7/7/07. What an easy birthday to remember! I also took a quick side trip to Houston to see my Brother and niece. We made it back to Arkansas just in time to attend the Hagers' Christmas party, which was fun and also to start helping out at the Angel tree.


James immediately jumped back into working, mainly helping Tuna out and finishing up some loose ends from this summer. Juli, my sister who lives in Georgia, and her family came into town for the week of Christmas and we were very busy with all the kids and celebrating Christmas eve with the Murie's and Christmas Day with the Joneses. We also had a mini-family reunion with my mom's side of the family at the Jones center (no relation, just a nice free place to have a party and ice skate) and then went to Branson for two days with my parents, and sisters and their families. Silver Dollare City on a 35 degree day with 5 children and 50,000 other people may sound like torture to some of you, but we had a great time. We had a nice New Year's Eve with our friend Mike, my cousins Robin & Chris and Chris's wife Sarah. Big Smith was at George's and we danced our way into the New Year. We went over to our friends Andy & Angela's house to watch the hogs shameful defeat on New Year's Day.


With the constant activity coming to a close on New Year's Day, I began to go into a tailspin of depression desperate to get the RV back on the road. Poor James didn't know what to do with me because I would burst into tears just from seeing the tow bracket on the car or anytime I entered the RV. You would think the fact that we are going to Costa Rica for a month on the 14th would be enough for me to look forward to, but I am ashamed to say it didn't help at all. All I saw in my head was a giant clock with our allotted time off ticking away and us just sitting here in Fayetteville frittering it away. While I was wallowing in despair with free cell and chocolate my sweet, wonderful husband was out being responsible by working, and getting our taxes ready and doing repairs at the rent houses. Instead of slapping me upside the head for being selfish and spoiled he was very patient with me and even tried to understand my blabbering when I couldn't understand it myself. I have never been so depressed and I think James already has a standing order of Prozac for me for when we come back for good.


I think a big part of my problem was I saw us going back so easily to how things were before we left and I don't want that. I don't want James to work 60 hours a week and every saturday to be a workday. I know we can't travel and live in the RV forever (well the grown up part of me knows that) but I hope we make a concerted effort to appreciate our lives more and appreciate each other more. I feel so thankful that I have a spouse I want to spend time with and whom I get along with so well. I hope that we can find a balance when we come back home between our old life and our RV life.


I hope everyone had a great Christmas and your new year is off to a wonderful start!

Love, Kim & James

Pictures: James' last fish at the gulf, flat tire, Kim & Shelby, Beth & Barrett

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, you do have a good spouse, he is a great brother too. I think I speak for a few when I say I too hope he doesnt go right back to being consumed by work. It was great having you guys back for the hollidays, but I'm going through chipper and oaf blog withdrawal. So get your butts back on the adventure and post some more cool stuff!! Love Tuna

Anonymous said...

Now you know how I feel when you leave. I loved having you home even if you weren't your chipper self the whole time. Max saw your picture today and stuck out his lip and said,"I miss Aunt Kimby". See, being home isn't so bad after all.
And, as usual, Tuna and I are the faithful commenters once again.
Janet