Thursday, January 17, 2008

Rio Sarapiqui in Costa Rica






Finally we are in Costa Rica. Kim can tell you it has been a painful 4 weeks of stagnation in Arkansas. It really sucks to sit around and do nothing you know. Poor baby!


I am sitting on a very quaint patio of the Rancho Leona on the Rio Sarapiqui. We are spending a whopping $24 a night, so we don't have the amenities of a four star resort, but the managers are great and we are chatting with the one other guest right now, he is a retired math teacher from Massachussets and he has Kim engaged in convo whilst I type on the laptop.


We spent two nights at the Selva Verde Lodge 'cause we couldn't find the management at the Rancho Leona on the way through the first time. It was very nice, but it flattened my wallet significantly, so we came here today. We met a very nice couple from New Hampshire and had a fun night of rum and cokes and Imperial beer last night. We were sitting at the bar getting a Spanish lesson from Jose' and up comes one of the employees. "You guys want to see a big snake?" "Oh hell yeah!" is my half drunken response. We all took off at a run walk down the long covered pathways to the bungalows where one of the security guards was pointing a flashlight and saying "Fer de Lance". Can we get a double "hell yeah!" I was almost drunk enough to grab it's tail and yank it out of the brush, but Kim was already on me like a pit bull owner telling her dog not to bite. "James, back off. James. James! Don't get so close." "Well hell, can't I have a close look at least?" After a while it came out of the brush and we got a look at it's head. Muy Peligroso! Back to the bar with the snake lovers adrenaline pumping. We had dinner and went up to our bungalow. Fate would have it that our new friends had moved to the room next to us. Their previous room had a parade of termites through it and they asked to be moved. We sat on the back side of the building, knowing how the sound traveled in the complex. We had a couple more drinks and chatted for half an hour when one of the other residents appeared from around the corner with a very agitated look. "Could you hold it down, me an my 81 year old mother can't sleep and we have to go bird watching at 6:00 a.m. I am getting very, very upset!" First instinct is I am paying $140 a night for this place and it is only 10:30 , so whatever!, but we just said "sorry, we will hold it down" and we chatted for a few more moments at a whisper and went to bed.

We moved to the Rancho Leona today. It is on a swift part of the river and it is very quaint. We found an ailing four foot long iguana and brought it back to convalesce on the patio. We are about to go to dinner at the Rio Bar for $4 a plate and $1.25 a beer. Tomorrow we go on a rubber ducky tour of the river, so I will send you pics.


Yesterday we hiked the trails and grounds at the La Paz Waterfalls. It was a tropical river paradise for sure. Pics included.


Talk to you tomorrow.

Damn, I picked the same picture twice, but it took 45 minutes to upload, so I am not going to change it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW WOW WOW! I am so envious. definitely write every day and post loads of pics!! And next time you see a massive snake, take pictures! por dios! (don't know how to spell it, but in my limited espaniol, which clearly I also don't know how to spell, you get my point!) xoxo, T.