Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Grand Staircase of Escalante/ Capitol Reef






Hello friends and family! After hitting my head on the TV three times yesterday James is getting worried that I might be losing my cognitive abilities from being on vacation for so long so he decided I needed to write the blog this time. I am proud to say I have not hit any overhangs since Palm Springs, and that didn't do any damage, so at least maybe I have finally learned that lesson.

We wrapped up our tour of southern Utah's national parks by visiting GSENM (Grand Staircase of Escalante National Monument, now you know why the abbreviate it) Capitol Reef and then heading back to Zion. We didn't make it to Canyonlands and Arches, but we figured 4 out of 6 was pretty good.

GSENM is a massive area and most of it is pretty remote. We managed to find a neat and most importantly cheap campground right next to a nice hike to a waterfall. Even though we were down in the middle of a canyon we finagled a decent enough satellite connection to watch the hogs beat whoever it was they beat Saturday, sorry dad, you know I never was a big sports fan.

The next day we drove the back roads from Escalante to Capitol Reef and got stuck in the middle of a cattle drive as well as taking in some amazing scenery. After this trip I am determined to relearn all the stuff I supposedly knew as a Geology major. It is amazing to wonder at the forces that have carved such unique areas especially these all so close together.

After spending the night all alone in the middle of this 2 million acre park (I'm sure there were other people relatively close by but it certainly didn't seem like it down in the middle of that empty campground) we decided to head back to Zion and 'civilization'. After you have been on the road for almost 4 months your idea of civilization is a campground with a dump station.

We stopped at a state park on the way back and went for a nice bike ride where James reminded me that no matter how far I hike he can still kick my butt on a bike.

I am daily amazed at this amazing trip we are on. Some days I feel guilty for not taking this time to learn a new language or teach homeless children how to read, but then I feel overwhelmingly blessed at just being able to have my happy, healthy, wonderful husband back and that is good enough.

Thanks for all the comments, hopefully James won't have to threaten anyone again to keep them coming!!

Love, Kim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff! You didn't go swimming under that wonderful waterfall? Back in my youth . . . I think you guys are doing the right thing. I am so happy to see James relaxed and grinning, so happy for Kim. Love you both. Fish pics from Texas!

Anonymous said...

Great stuff! You didn't go swimming under that wonderful waterfall? Back in my youth . . . I think you guys are doing the right thing. I am so happy to see James relaxed and grinning, so happy for Kim. Love you both. Fish pics from Texas!