Sunday, March 9, 2008

Trials of a Fishing Widow






Well James has been in Florida for over two weeks now and he hasn't come close to satiating his fishing desires. I guess I should be happy he is addicted to something healthy and productive like fishing as opposed to something like meth, although I think meth might be cheaper. I am amazed at his patience in being able to spend day after day, hour after hour all in pursuit of something he is most likely going to throw back. He laughs at my ability to go shopping for hours without buying anything, but at least in shopping you are able to carry on a conversation and there are usually bathrooms close by. We have had a couple of nice fish dinners but he is still waiting to have a banner day. Maybe tomorrow..............




We are still shamelessly taking advantage of Kim Larson and imposing on his other house guest Jeff. Jeff is a carpenter from Minnesota who comes down for about a month every year to escape the brutal cold and help Kim out a little bit. He is a very typical Norwegian bachelor, but he has been very gracious about James & I intruding on his peace. Our only problem is his accent is so strong James & I are now noticing 'ya' & 'you betcha' slipping into our vocabulary.




Life here is pretty laid back; wake up and go for a bike ride/walk/run, fish/read, happy hour, bed, repeat. It's pretty easy to see why so many people who come here to visit end up as permanent residents. It was a chilly 70 degrees yesterday so we had to break out our long pants.




Hopefully James will have a good day of fishing tomorrow so we will have some good fish pictures for you Tuna!




Happy belated birthday Janet! Thanks for being such a great sister & friend.




Love, Kim




4 comments:

Unknown said...

I completely relate to your widow-hood - and the silver lining that it isn't to gambling, drugs, or other unsavories.... of course I am referring to Forrest and his orchids! The nice thing about that too is that he's home - off in the greenhouse, but home nonetheless.
kisses, T.

Anonymous said...

hey guys glade to see your having fuuuunnnn tony and kattie

Anonymous said...

Kimbie,
You're narrative skills gets better and better. You two need to do a travel book, alternating authors.

Glad you take your widowhood in good stride. Nothing else to do about it when the fishing bug bites the Murie brothers.

As I type, I have a new puppy lying at my feet. He is an Akbash, descendant of fierce protectors of sheep in the mountains of Turkey. He is only 7 weeks old. (I think I winged off some pictures, didn't I?) and is very precious. The neighbor's pekingese came into our yard and immediately pranced over and sniffed puppy's butt. My fierce protector had no idea of what to make of such a strange creature, and is now under the protection of my chair. I thought he was lost for a while this morning, but then found him out with the goats. So, I think he will adapt just fine to his new roles. Just given the fact that he will grow to the size of a great dane and look like a wolf, should work to keep any and all at bay no matter which of his instincts come to the fore.

Sounds like ya'll have an action- and people-packed next few weeks. May your weather cooperate.

Love, MM

Anonymous said...

yes I am out of sorts...cant believe you snuck three posts by without my notice. And alas still none bearing any fish pictures.
I am right with you on not understanding how james could fish ALL day on to release TINY fish.
Tuna