Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Keys






After testing the brakes of the r.v. through at least a hundred stop lights on the southwestern side of Florida we made our way through the Everglades and down to Key Largo. We arrived at King's Camp to find that the office was closed and no one was around to check us in. We were told by several of the residents to just pick a site and deal with it in the morning, so that is what we did. We watched the sunset on the end of the pier there and had a nice dinner in the r.v. and crashed. This is some boring @#$% isn't it? Anyhoo, we then headed to Key West in the morning. The water on either side of the highway that traversed the tiny strip of land that is most of the keys is absolutely beautiful. It is every bit of the aqua green/blue that you see in pictures. We stopped at Robbies pier and fed the tarpons. You get a small bucket of little dead fishes and try to get them past the pesky pellicans and into the tarpons mouths. These fishes were a good 4 foot long and probably 70 to 100 lbs.

Key west was very cool. It was a combination of old Carribean style homes, boats, piers, bars and restaurants. We walked by Ernest Hemmingway's home, but he wasn't there, so we left our regards and headed to the southernmost point of the U.S. were we had some cruise going susy chick take a crappy picture of us in front of the famous buoy. We then stopped at a rum bar and had a few 2 for 1 rum y colas and continued up Duval st. back to the pier where we started. It is cool to see some of the streets and landmarks that I have heard in my Mom's Jimmy Buffett music for so many years. Kim would just kind of look at me strange when I busted out in lyric. "There's a woman goin' crazy on Caroline St., stoppin' every man that she does meet" What??

Yeah, I would say the Keys are worth the visit, but it is a LONG way down there, so plan accordingly.


NO FISH CAUGHT! Sorry Tuna. Just a few pesky piggy perch.


I am running out of fishing territory, so I will have to switch to snake catching.


I went back through the blogs and caught some comments that were left by people I had no idea would be looking on. Thanks Cat Sanders for checking in.

I apologize for spelling Tracy's name wrong, but your own cousin told me to spell it with an 'e', so it isn't really my fault.

Tuna, I am going to revoke your commenting license if you banter on about acronyms and such while you are tripping on acid.

Kim informs me that I omitted the Everglades. The Everglades were a birder's paradise with a bunch of alligators mixed in. There were glades that went on forever and ever. I don't even know what a glade is. I will include a page of critters from the everglades and that will give you the idea.

Kim doesn't know what a glade is either....all that reading and she is glade ignorant.


We are headed North in a hurry. Prepare for some history lessons as we explore some ancient American townships.


Love James

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great picture of the pelicans. I am cursed with having an automatic association with a childhood verse, the text of which is triggered every time I see pelicans. Sort of like the Mark Twain story about "punch brothers, punch with care, etc..."(If you don't know this story, you won't relate to my pelican issue ... but here goes. Let it stick forever in some little recess of your cerebral cortex as it has in mine. "What a funny bird is the pelican. His bill holds more than his belly can."

MM

Anonymous said...

Yes Mom, thats what we need, more sticky phrases so right back at you with....is am are was were be been we are linking verbs.(which is sung by the way in the same tune as Old MacDonald Had a Farm, which just ocurred to me. Beautiful water down there Jim and Kim who hasnt caught anything with a fin.my word today is qxrogpi, and not that i cant come up with anything for that I am just so scared to have my commenting privaliges yanked. Tuna

Unknown said...

you are forgiven on the misspelling of my name - thanks for noticing. It happens all the time. I blame Shelley. If she didn't have the "e", less of the fam would think I did. Ah well. its better than an "i" or "ie". I just can't abide by those. and to defend your brother - I think its kinda fun to have a game. its like the bonus word scramble on the back of a cereal box. let's see.. mgfgqzvx. oh, forget it! if there weren't that pesky X I could maybe give it a whirl....

Anonymous said...

The pictures are getting a little tough to look at now. I could get really jealous of the beach. Enjoy every minute and then some more for me. Have fun in Savannah with Juli and family. I wish I still had my picture phone and I would have mailed you a picture of Sienna with bows in her hair. It was pretty funny.
Love you,
Janet

Anonymous said...

That is a crappy picture of you in front of the famous buoy! Looks nothing like you!