Monday, September 17, 2007

Waterton-Glacier






Well James finally decided to let me take a turn again so I will try to be as witty and entertaining as he is. (I know that's bad grammar, sorry Jeff & Mary). We just got back from Canada but I am going to back track a little first and write more about Glacier, which even after all the amazing places in Canada is still at the top of our list. Before I get too far into our adventure update I would like to say thank you to those who are reading this and leaving comments. We love to hear from people back home and it has been great to hear from friends and coworkers. I am not sure about blog etiquitte so I don't know if we are supposed to comment on your comments about our comments. Anyway, we love hearing from everyone.

Back to the task at hand.........................Waterton-Glacier was the first international peace park (I think it might still be the only one actually) because it encompasses land both in the US & Canada. I think about 2 million acres in the US and 30,000 in Canada. I know its petty but I think since more of the land is in the us it should be Glacier-Waterton, oh well. what kind of an ambassador would I make. We spent most of our time in Glacier because we realized in Wateron Canadians have a strange habit of having towns in the middle of their national parks. It can be conveinent but also a little annoying. We already posted some pictures of Many Glacier which is on the east side of Glacier but for my mothers sake as well as anyone else who has a fear of heights I have to post some of the "Going to the Sun" road. When we first got to the park they told us we couldn't take our RV all the way over this infamous road and we were a little annoyed because it meant to get to the other side we had to drive an extra 60 miles. When you are barely getting 10 miles a gallon this is a big deal. After we drove the narrow, windy, road we would have driven 600 miles out of the way. The road was barely as wide as our RV and had a sheer drop off almost the whole way. We drove it once and then opted for the shuttle the rest of the time. We did have a nice big campsite in Glacier and I got to attend a church service right on the lake. We rode our bikes some and James got to do some fishing. On the drive up along Flathead Lake in Montana we passed about 100 cherry stands and finally found one we could pull our huge load through, so I also ate myself sick on cherries in amidst all of our hiking. I know James has commented on the amount of hiking we have been doing but we have also been doing our fair share of eating & drinking.

We made it across the border easily enough with Mr. Roboto as our appointed customs agent. It was one of the few times James has not been on the verge of getting strip searched when going through customs so we were very polite and didn't comment on the agents lack of personality. Waterton was nice enough, as I said there was a town in the middle of the park so it wasn't quite what we were used to. We did see about 20 big horn sheep parade through town, I guess they think its silly to have a town in the middle of a park too. We rode our bikes up to their big fancy hotel and almost tortured the tour bus group by joining them for high tea. We decided we were a bit too unkempt (the wind had blown my hair into something akin to Medusa) and went back to town for ice cream, see I told you there was lots of eating.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What beautiful places you are seeing. We love the swinging bridge and all the boats in the harbor. Did you ride on one of the boats? We miss you and want to see pictures of the bears. Did you take any? We'll talk to you soon.
Max, Zachary, and Janet

Babs Gladhand said...

Since I am the self-proclaimed Queen of Blogging Etiquette, yes, you are supposed to comment on people's comments. They in turn can comment on your comment about their comment. If you're not careful, though, you could end up entangled in a perpetual comment spewing brawl, and that's never pretty.

And someone could lose an eye or something.

The pictures are just lovely. I have decided that I'm moving to Canada. Seriously, I'm packing right now.

Kim and James said...

Thank you flumadiddle for straightening me out! I am glad you are moving to Canada, that way James & I can have a free place to stay when we go back!
Janet, yes we have a video of the bears but are having trouble uploading it. We road on the quea taxi and on several ferries. James should have uploaded some pictures but if not I will get all over it.
Thank you guys for commenting! :)
Kim

Anonymous said...

Let's see if this works. Got your blog from Tuna. You could have let me know, guys. Envy,envy, envy. Golden Ears was our headquarters in BC while shooting filmstrips. Lots of fun, lots of adventures. Cherries and apricots, Lake Okanagan, salmon (35 pounders) off the back of a truck. Where are you now? Where are you going? When (if) do we see you? Joni sends love, me too. Give a call when you're in cheaper range.

Anonymous said...

Me again. I told you the seals were on Seven Devils Road. They're not, they're on Cape Arago Road out of Coose Bay, and it's a loop. Not too far, nice scenery if it's not pouring. Up to you. If you get to Brookings, down on the harbor road, where all the boats and fishing stuff is, you can find Dick and Casey's cannery. They sell all sorts of delicious canned salmon and tuna and things. Just north of Eureka is a nice state park, Patrick's Point. At the north end of the park is Agate Beach. It's a rough clamber down to the beach, but you're almost guaranteed a few agates, if small. If lucky you might see a whale. Good clay on the trail, don't slip, grab a handful and make voodoo dolls.
Love, Edad and Inoj